Safety First: Senior Living is More Than Just Peace and Quiet
February 2, 2024
When choosing a senior living community, it’s crucial to look beyond the serene environment and consider the safety aspects that offer true peace of mind.
While healthcare professionals are there to maintain your health and manage illnesses, their presence doesn’t automatically guarantee safety from accidents, crimes, or harsh weather conditions. That’s why it’s essential to delve into the safety features, protocols, and procedures of any senior living community you consider.
Here are some key questions to guide you in assessing whether a community can provide the safety and protection you need:
- Accessibility Matters: Check if the community, including private residences and common areas, is fully accessible for those using walkers, wheelchairs, or scooters. This is not just about convenience but also about preventing accidents.
- Clear Exits: Ensure that exits in residences and common areas are clearly marked, a basic yet crucial aspect of safety in any living environment.
- Lighting for Safety: Inquire about the lighting in the grounds, especially in parking areas. Good lighting is a deterrent to crime and helps prevent falls and accidents.
- Future-Proof Residences: Ask if the residences are equipped with safety features like handrails and grab bars, which might be necessary now or in the future.
- Emergency Preparedness: Find out if residences have an emergency alert system and a fire sprinkler system. These features can be life-saving in emergencies.
- Staff Check-Ins: Understand how often staff check in on residents. Regular check-ins can provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Response to Emergencies: Clarify the community’s response plan for natural disasters or other emergencies like fires. Knowing there’s a plan in place can be immensely reassuring.
- Privacy vs. Safety: Lastly, ask about staff access to residences. It’s important to know under what circumstances they may enter your private space.
Remember, your safety and security in a senior living community are as important as the comfort and amenities it offers. By asking the right questions, you can ensure that your new home will be a safe haven in every sense.
To get a full list of questions and other tips to guide your senior living journey, click the button below to access our guide: Finding the Right Fit.
Share This Post
A family-owned company offering a retirement lifestyle in breathtaking communities you or your loved one will be happy to call home.